Friday, July 10, 2015

KOCHI, INDIA



I had return tickets from Indonesia to Saudi Arabia for Faris and I. I got a good offer and couldn't wait for the school's new year calendar. When the new calendar came out, I realized my return ticket was after the first day of school. I needed to buy another ticket from KL-Saudi. I won't be able to change the date of my return flight because it was economy tickets. So, I bought cheap Airasia ticket to Kochi. It was too much headache and flights, but at least I got to see a new place. We were planning to go to Kashmir, I bought the tickets, but then asked for refund and just stayed in Kochi. I paid about 5000 sar for tickets and tour arrangement. It was very nice to have a tour agency took care of us. India was cheaper and not very easy in transportation, so it was easier for us just to pay for the tour. They provided us with a big car, an experienced driver, and full itinerary. 

Day 1  KOCHI 

I arrived at 11pm in Kochi Airport. They almost did not allowed us to board the plane because they were ignorance. They thought Indonesian couldn't obtain VOA in Kochi. Well, actually I could, but it took 3.5 hours!! Read it here, about Indian Visa.


Priya, my friend, with her Sister Sarah and Uncle had waited for me outside the airport. It was rainy. We stayed at hotel Air View. Very close to the airport, but very basic one, just 800 rupees or about SR50. Priya and I, and Faris too, went down to eat and drink coffee. Next morning, at 10 after breakfast we traveled to Kochi city. We visited Fort Kochi, Saree Exhibition, Mahatma Ghandi Beach, Princess street, Chinese net, and around Fort Kochi. Many churches there, as majority of the people were Christian, that's new information for me. We called the taxi driver Chetta, which means older brother. It took sometime to reach Kochi, and the surrounding exactly like Indonesia, bumpy and full with hole, motorbikes everywhere, messy and all. We checked in at Aiswarya Hotel. At night we went to dinner and bought an Indian clothes, don’t know which model. 
    
Day 2  MUNNAR

Travel time to Munnar was about 4 hours. Through mountain zig zag road, looked like in Bengkulu, but Munnar is so beautiful. The waterfall is by the street, no need to do trekking. Monkeys, and cold weather, memorable scenery. I prayed in a beautiful mosque, difficult to find. We had an elephant ride, and took picture in a viewpoint, where we can have a cup of hot masala tea, and enjoyed the beautiful highland. We had dinner in the nearby restaurant. I enjoyed Indian cuisines. We stayed in Bellmount hotel for 2 nights. The hotels that the tour arranged are quite old and rather expensive.  






Day 3 MUNNAR

We continue our journey to Botanical Garden, on the way there, we stopped at a beautiful lust green tea plantation. We then went to a very beautiful lake Madupetty Dam. Faris and I rode a white horse. Faris' umbrella flew away and float on the water, however Priya succeed to pick it up. After that we went to Echo Point, where we can shout and it will echo. So green and unbelievably beautiful scenery.  We continue the to Eravanikulam National Park. Before we went up with the bus, we had lunch in the nearby cafeteria. We hopped on a big bus, it was raining cats and dogs, narrow and wet road to the mountain, so scary and cold. I just waited at the peak near the waterfall with Faris and Priya's mom, while they climbed up to the peak. Then we watch a dance show, I didn't really enjoy it, I love Indian dance but this one is different.


Day 4 THEKADDY, PERIYAR NATIONAL PARK.

 We spent 2 days in the peak of Munnar, and would go back to the city. But we still have half of the day to enjoy the lust green of Munnar. The whole way was pleasure to my eyes.  We reached the peak, and slowly got down the mountain. On the way down, we stopped at a Herbal Garden, where we can buy Kerala specialized nature medication. We met an Egyptian family. I didn't really enjoy looking at plantation. I bought a bottle hair oil. for hairfall. In Thekaddy, there were naughty monkeys. We eat lunch in a cage, monkeys were ready to attack. I was bringing food for Faris and they were attacking me, and Priya too. This lake was unique, there were tree trunks in the middle of the lake, creating the mysterious ambient. We rode the big boat, very noise one. We had to wear that ugly safety vest, and not allowed to leave the seat or standing up. I did it anyway.
After Thekaddy, we went to the hotel, I forgot the name. After sunset, Priya's mom and I went to the Ayurverda massage and Faris, Priya, Sarah and their uncle went to dancing fountain show.

Day 6 HOUSEBOAT, ALLEPPEY
This was a very nice experience. Our hotel was on the boat! All the boat was for ourselves. I bought crab for dinner. All inclusive, dinner, lunch and breakfast, but I add crab for our dinner. We strolled along the backwater. Rain made it so romantic. Best part when we had lunch, the food was amazing, supported by the great background, and nice breeze, made you hungry. We docked by the rice field. I cooked the crab in the boat kitchen.  

Day 7 BACKWATER RESORT

This  is our last day in Kochi. I didn't really know what Backwater means, when I realize, oh I hate Backwater, I prefer beach. Our so called resort was far away from anything. Backwater means stagnant water means mosquitos. We can't go anywhere, the boating program was closed because there was a construction going on.  No proper WIFI, only in the front desk. To get to front desk, we need to ride a raft and need to wait for somebody to steer it. We just tried on our Indian Saree and dresses, taking pictures. At night, Priya and I spent the time in front desk to have WIFI, and had to go back to hotel lodge in the middle of the room. Oh, the surrounding was pretty scary, dark, and surrounded by water, and jungle.

Day 8  MUMBAI 

I needed to fly back to Mumbai. They dropped Faris and I at the airport. We parted there, Priya and family will ride the train to go back to Chennai. We were there quite early. After checked in and Faris eat donut, we flew to Mumbai. I arrived approximately at 8 or 9 pm. On the plane, I sat with a  guy from Maldives. I usually didn't make conversation, but I was glad I did. He went to Mumbai to attend the release of Shah Rukh Khan's movie "Happy New Year" Yes, he would be seeing SRK. The movie release will take part in the Hotel in front of the airport. Ms. Said picked me up, because the hotel was late. We got lost for sometime. Finally, we found the hotel. The hotel was very modern, also expensive, but I chose safety first. Afraid to stay in hostel in India. Unfortunately, we would just stayed in this good hotel for few hours, because early in the morning we need to go to airport to fly to Jeddah and another leg to Yanbu.




1 comment: