Monday, July 6, 2015

USA Trip (part 1)

NEW YORK

America, how in the world does this so called the Greatest Nation not in my bucket list? Because I was thinking that it is so out of reach, and also I am not very optimistic I would be able to go there. But, being out of my bucket list doesn’t make this country impossible for me. And by working with an American school, will help me with the visa application.

04 October, 2014
The time is come. I need to go. I call taxi and pay 100 SR (38 $) to the airport. Get there early and wait in the mosque while using internet for 2 hours. I fly to Abu Dhabi for 2.5 hours, transit for 5 hours. Fly to NY for 14 hours. The food and movies are amazing. Overall flight, I watch many movies, here are the titles I remembered, "The Other Woman", my left over "Spiderman" from the last flight, sitcom "2 Broke Girls", "Mom", and that Australian doctor i forgot the title, "Chef", "Blended", "the Lunch Box", "Captain America" (but fell asleep), the Fault is in Our Stars,  and more movies I couldn't really remember now. 


05 October, 2014
From Abu Dhabi, we take off around 02.30 AM, pretty much a red eye flight, I doze off as soon as I sit on my seat, but not for long, I wake up to a delicious pre-ordered seafood meal. Etihad's food is always great, like shrimp salad, fish biryani, white sauce fish pasta, smoked salmon sandwich are entertaining my taste bud. Strange, I I feel like go back in time, we leave when it is dark, then sunrise, and I pray my subuh (morning) prayer, but then it becomes dark again! Few minutes before landing, I can see NEW YORK!!! I saw Coney Island, beautiful American houses with green lawn, the bridge, still can not believe I will be arriving in NY. Looking back to my VISA process that is approved only 2 days before my flight, and I have to buy all the tickets in the same day. It is not a trip I plan for a long time, still feel like a dream until now. 

JFK airport - pass the custom and border protection- got my entry stamp, then wait for the checked luggage. Well, Wi-FI is good and I update my status on Facebook, "hello New York!"
Got the purple luggage I borrow from my friend, walk outside, and followed the sign for AirTrain. Saw 1 train is waiting, I run but not so sure that the train will go to the stop which will continue to Queens. I  have to ask somebody. Yup, that is the one, but the door closed in front of my eyes. The next one is coming in 20 minutes. Great, first missing train.

It is around noon when I reach the hotel. I spend 3 hours just to reach the hotel, I am just being careful, and afraid to get lost. My hotel is Q4 in Queens Plaza North, a night for 45$, female dormitory with 4 beds and en-suited bathroom, great new hotel.

I check in but I can not go to my room yet.  I leave my luggages, but still have to carry my backpack and camera bag with me. For sure I am so tired and longing to lay down in a bed, but check in only at 4pm. I have 4 hours to explore. it forces me to step to the station and head to Manhattan. I purchased metro card for 7 days pass for 31$. 

Grand Central is only 4 stops away from Queensboro Plaza Station. I am not going to the main building, just go out from the nearest exit, and buy falafel sandwich from halal food truck. I am shaking from hunger. I do not know where to go, my map is my guide. I do not manage to buy local SIM. I see Grand Central Station from outside,so huge and beautiful. Few blocks from there, I see Chrysler building. I walk toward National Library, there is a Polish Parade, road blockage, and have to walk around to reach Bryant Park. I sit down on the park's seat, while having a salty pretzel for 3$ I think. I stop for a while, enjoying the view of people reading books, pigeon chasing after my scattered pretzel. I keep on repeating myself "I am in New York, I am in New York... !" I wish I can stay longer and read some book, or explore the interior of National Library. I am a librarian, and I do not even step my foot inside a great library like National Library in New York, what kind of Librarian am I? In my defense, I have limited time to explore NY in 4 days, I can't really spend long time in one place.

I walk toward Times Square, and still think wether to buy a hop on hop off bus ticket - my original plan was to buy 2 days pass- but turn down by a negative review, or only use subway.

All this time watching American movies, I do not really care about the setting that take place in NY, I never interested to visit NY, until I do some research few days before traveling.

My feet are killing me, I go to Sketchers shoes store, no offers. I have to hold on. Walking around Times Square is magical. I want to walk straight to Central Park, but I have to find a mosque to pray. There is one in Lexington 45th st. Not bad, saw many beautiful places on the way there, like Rockefeller Center, branded stores, what not.

Finally!! after walking for about 2 hours! The parade again made me do the maneuver just to cross the street. I miss the masjid, because it is just a part of a building with small sign like other stores. I go up to 3rd floor, but Have to go back to the basement for the wudhu, ouch. It is half an hour before magrib prayer, Alhamdulillah I can catch the 2 prayers. I go down to find refreshment, I buy tea and spicy sambousa, yum! Halal, man!

Maghrib time but I decide to pray in the hotel room, I don't want to wait and go up 3rd floor anymore. But I really should just pray. Well, I headed to find the tramway to Roosevelt Island. But I find Bloomingdale on my way - big discount- but too tired to shop. Few blocks away, I found the tramway, I use my metro card and up we go to the Roosevelt Island. I regret I do not go in the day time, I can explore this beautiful Island. I go straight to the subway station and take F line, going to 21st Queens Bridge. Oh no, I have to walk around 8 blocks, in the dark, nobody is there. I arrive at the hotel at 10 pm. This time is real check in. I go to the common kitchen to make dinner (indomie noodle!) upload some pictures, and sleeeeeep. 7 hours of walking and sightseeing, I see many places. 


06 October, 2014

I wake up at 8 am. Very late! I prepare and plan for the day, and finally go outside at 12 noon, so very late!

to be continued....



No comments:

Post a Comment